Thursday, May 14, 2009


This week I have learned that things don't have to be so complicated.
Being the independent type (to say the least), I was recently suprised to find myself very dependent on others. I realized that I was relying too heavily on other people to do certain tasks for me that I had not wanted to do myself in the past.
Having my own business means that I have to wear many different hats, most of which I like...when I have time for them. Over the last ten or so years, I delegated jobs to a variety of support professionals, ie. book keepers, graphic designers, web designers, illustrators, IT guys, computer techs etc., so that I could spend my time on the creative end of the business. I used to be able to do just enough of that type of work myself to get by.
Well, anyway, all of a sudden, like the light bulb coming on, I realized that a few of these jobs were not being done with my best interest in mind.
I understand everyone needs to make a living, and no one wants to shoot themselves in the foot by giving out too much information, but...
To make a long story short, I took over some of the jobs that I paid people to do for me, and I realized that with a little effort on my part, I could accomplish the tasks quite simply myself! Not only that, but it is empowering to know that I am in control of certain things again.
I was always proud of the fact that I had done every job that I ever hired someone to do for me. I felt that part of my success was based on that fact, so it really upset me that I had let things get so out of my hands.
I am glad that the time between my paralyzing realizations and my awareness of self was short lived. I am very lucky to have good friends that came to my emotional rescue and set me back on safe ground. You know who you are!
Simplicity within the details is my mantra for the creative end of my business, and now I will strive for it everyday on the other end.
Check out my website. http://www.cjpatterns.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment